Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ski-mod foot-bar.


Phew.  Been a while since I've posted.  But I've been busy.....new life back on the west coast!  Things are good. 

So I finally made some progress on my ski-footwell modification.  Since it has arrived in Berkeley, it's been sitting on Kizmuit's deck, longing to go out. Hasn't touched the water yet....mostly, because it has needed two things - a proper place to attach a leash, and a venturi drain.  I've been able to address one of the two.  Shown below are pics of the foot-bar/leg-leash addition to the footwell modification. 




So I took a section of an old paddle shaft, and pared it down to size.....


....then I scribed some notches in the gunnels of the footwell.....


.....and here's the paddle-shaft/foot-bar/leg-leash attachment positioned where I want it......


...a closeup of the slots for the paddle shaft, prepped for a solid epoxy bond.......


.....and here's the carbon fiber patch holding the bar in place......(yes, middle of the night).....


.....oh, and prior to afixing the carbon fiber cloth, I epoxied the part in place.....


....here's a pic of the final ugly fix......


....and yet another.  It's not pretty, for sure, but I think that once it is faired and painted, none will be the wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment