Tuesday, December 28, 2010

iphone tracking

With this handy iphone ap, yes, big brother is watching.

When enabled, my phone becomes a satilite tracking device that broadcasts my position to an internet site every 5 seconds or so.  A little creepy when one considers my cadre of stalkers, but quite helpful when out paddling in San Francisco bay solo in the winter.  I'll notify at least someone (a tweet, perhaps?) before heading out, and that way my whereabouts will be known.

They have a more sophisticated device called a SPOT tracker that not only maps your progress on a website, but allows you to check in with someone via text or email or notify emergency services. It costs about $180, and I think there's a service fee of sorts.

But this will do for now.

Still working out the kinks, and we'll see how easy it is to isolate individual tracks each time I go out.

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment