Sunday, December 26, 2010

A sailmaker's eyesplice

Two of the many items Kizmuit was in need of when I took over as caretaker were an anchor and rode.  The rode is the line and chain that connects the anchor to the boat.  These items were the first ones I purchased back in October.  However, they are useless unless they are connected to 1) each other and 2) the boat.  Afixing the anchor to the chain was simple enough, as all it required was a stainless steel shackle.  Connecting the chain to the line was another matter, as the line needed an eyesplice. 

I had been putting off figuring out how to make an eyesplice. I had done it once as a boy in Scouts, but I remember it being a much thinner rope and it didn't quite turn out right.  Jack, the crusty salt at the end of my dock, lent me a classic text on the subject of sailmaking.  In it were instructions that required the use of a fid. 


A few hours and a few blisters later, I succeeded in producing about eight inches of splice in a 5/8" line around what I think is either an eyelet or a cringle.  There are so many nautical terms to familiarize myself with.....  Some waxed twine to whip the ends will finish up the job nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Great sailmaker experience and experiments with eyesplice, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete