Saturday, November 6, 2010

Amman, Jordan

So I'm in Amman, Jordan for work for a few weeks.  The project is a USAID funded infrastructure improvement/capacity building program.  I'm working on upgrades to two wastewater treatment plants.  Fantastic opportunity to travel.  Jordan has been a wonderfully gentle introduction to the middle east.

Yesterday (Friday, the holy day) I visited what is arguably the most well preserved Roman city in the world-Jerash.  I was hoping to get down to Petra in the south today, but I've only been here three days and I needed a break. It would have been a long, expensive, and tourist-filled adventure. Instead I'll be heading to the Dead Sea this afternoon for a 27% salt-water soak.  I even purchased a little euro-skivvy, one of those religion-revealing bathing suits that seem to be all the rage.  It even came with a gold chain.


Roman Ruins of Jerash



Hadrain's Gate



Main thoroughfare

2,000 year old manhole cover

fountain drain

1st century Starbucks (left) and CVS (right)

Theater

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Thanks for sharing your travels with us. Great photos! Aunt Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome. And I dig the beauty you find in 2,000 year old manhole covers.

    ReplyDelete